AZMIN ALI

LATEST

Day: June 14, 2011

Public will punish BN if Tian Chua thrown out, says Azmin

By Asrul Hadi Abdullah Sani (The Malaysian Insider)
June 14, 2011

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 — PKR deputy president Azmin Ali said today that Barisan Nasional (BN) will face the consequences in the general election if the ruling coalition seeks to strip Chua Tian Chang of his parliamentarian status.
BN Backbenchers Club (BNBBC) deputy chairman Datuk Bung Mokhtar Radin confirmed with The Malaysian Insider today that BN MPs have decided to table a motion to debate Chua Tian Chang’s MP status in Parliament.

Bung added that BN MPs have decided that the PKR leader was no longer qualified to hold the post due to a conviction.

Today, Azmin said that PKR will bring the matter to court if the motion is approved by parliament.

“If they use majority power then we will use the legal process to defend Tian Chua’s position as an MP.

“I am confident the public will punish them in the coming election,” he said during a press conference here.

BN Backbenchers Club deputy chairman Datuk Bung Mokhtar Radin confirmed today that BN MPs have decided to table a motion to debate Chua Tian Chang’s (pic) MP status in Parliament. — file pic

The Court of Appeal had last month rejected Chua’s appeal against a conviction for biting a policeman based on the deputy public prosecutor (DPP)’s objection that it was filed after the 14-day window.

The decision effectively upholds last year’s High Court decision to uphold his conviction and sentence of a RM2,000 fine in default of two months’ jail, thus throwing his seat status into question.

Under Article 48 of the Federal Constitution and preceding cases, Chua stands disqualified as an MP because he was fined “not less than” RM2,000.

Deputy Speaker of Parliament Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar has declared it would be “irresponsible” if no lawmaker informs the House of Chua’s conviction and possible disqualification.

He told The Malaysian Insider last month that without formal notification from a member of the House, the Speaker could not move to act against Chua, whose status as an MP presently hangs in the balance.

Addresses missing from electoral roll, says PKR deputy

By Asrul Hadi Abdullah Sani (The Malaysian Insider)
June 14, 2011

Azmin Ali also alleged that EC secretary Datuk Kamaruddin Mohamed Baria had informed him the commission had received orders from above to not provide the addresses in full. — file pic
KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 – Azmin Ali claimed today that the addresses of more than 90 per cent of voters are missing from the latest electoral roll provided by the Election Commission (EC), while accusing Barisan Nasional (BN) of gearing up to use phantom voters in the next elections.
The PKR deputy president also condemned the EC for forcing political parties within Pakatan Rakyat (PR) to pay RM48,000 for the electoral roll when it is the responsibility of the commission to provide such information.

“The 2010 fourth quarter electoral roll we received two days ago is the dirtiest roll I have ever seen in many years.

“It does not matter if they vote for Barisan Nasional or Pakatan but to be fair, information must be given to the electorate before they can decide. How do we get across our policies if we are denied the opportunity to meet with the voters? Where is democracy in our country?” Azmin told reporters during a press conference here.

Azmin also alleged that EC secretary Datuk Kamaruddin Mohamed Baria had told him that the commission had received orders from above to not provide the addresses in full.

“The EC continues to be used by Umno and BN during elections. The latest development shows that the EC is no longer capable of conducting elections that are clean and fair.

“This is part of Umno’s efforts to include phantom voters in the roll. I feel disappointed with the attitude of the EC that it has received orders from Umno,” he added.

Azmin has previously accused the BN federal government of issuing identity cards to illegal immigrants to boost their electoral votes.

The Gombak MP did not substantiate his claims — citing “reliable sources” — and accused JPN of working with BN to issue identity cards in illegal immigrant squatter settlements in the state.

A total of 130,097 new voters were registered in Selangor last year.

According to the EC, 70 per cent of the 4.3 million unregistered voters are between the ages of 21 and 40. About 450,000 Malaysians turn 21 each year, the eligible age of voting in this country.

Selangor PKR deputy chairman Zuraida Kamaruddin recently circulated a document alleged to be a letter sent by Umno to Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein requesting that 2,000 foreigners be given full citizenship instead of just permanent residence.

‘Demi Rakyat’ campaign to drive PKR forward, says Azmin

By Asrul Hadi Abdullah Sani (The Malaysian Insider)
KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 – PKR deputy president Azmin Ali said today that the “Demi Rakyat” campaign will be the party’s theme in facing the next general election expected within the year.

PKR yesterday launched the “Demi Rakyat” website, ahead of a campaign to focus on the economy and social issues to convince fence sitters to lean towards Pakatan Rakyat (PR).

Taking a leaf from Barisan Nasional’s (BN) playbook, the PKR campaign will be led by celebrities who will focus on issues that the party believes are important to neutrals.

“The campaign and theme for PKR for the general election is “Demi Rakyat” … its logo shows that PKR is a party that has potential in the future of representing the old and younger generations,” he told reporters during a press conference at party’s headquarters here.

Located at demirakyat.org, the campaign appears to already have signed up personalities such as actor Abdul Kadir Abdul Manap, better known as Man Kadir, and singer-composer Mohd Khair Mohd Yasin.

The “Demi Rakyat” campaign will be fully launched at the party’s national election convention in Shah Alam on Sunday, a public event that will showcase PKR’s key themes for the polls.

Azmin also denied that the party was jumping the gun by holding the convention this weekend.

“I have said earlier that we do not know when is the exact date of the election so as a political party we have to be prepared for any eventualities.

“We still believe that the present administration will call for a snap election as soon as July before Ramadhan. So we have about a month from now to get our machinery on track and that was the reason why we decided that June 19 is the best date to hold our national election convention,” he added.

The campaign also takes a leaf out of the Bersih rally planned for July 9, which, although backed by PR, is led by activists to increase its appeal to neutrals.

As of the beginning of this year, 610,731 new voters are up for grabs, having registered after the March 2008 polls. The Election Commission (EC) said Malaysia now has some 12 million voters, less than half of its 28.5 million population.

The first Bersih rally in 2007 calling for electoral reforms gathered as many as 50,000 demonstrators and was said to be a key factor in record gains by the opposition in Election 2008.

PR swept five state governments and denied BN its customary two-thirds majority in Parliament by securing 82 seats.

Kes Sarbaini: Pakatan dakwa inkues tak efektif, gesa tubuh suruhanjaya

Oleh Syed Mu’az Syed Putra (The Malaysian Insider)
June 14, 2011

PETALING JAYA, 14 Jun — Timbalan Presiden PKR Azmin Ali menyifatkan langkah kerajaan mengadakan inkues — yang diputuskan hari ini — bagi menyiasat kematian penolong pengarah Kastam Allahyarham Ahmad Sarbaini Mohamed tidak relevan, selain sukar mencari jalan penyelesaian.

Justeru, beliau menegaskan adalah lebih baik jika suruhanjaya diraja siasatan diadakan berbanding inkues.

Sebelum ini Penasihat DAP Lim Kit Siang pernah mencadangkan agar Putrajaya terus mengadakan suruhanjaya diraja siasatan berbanding inkues yang disyorkan polis.

“Mengapa perlu diadakan inkues? Ini buang masa sahaja, kalau benar serius nak mencari punca kematian Ahmad Sarbaini… yang perlu diadakan adalah suruhjaya diraja bukan inkues.

“Kita tidak mahu membazir wang rakyat untuk tubuhkan inkues, nanti sama macam kes Teoh Beng Hock selepas inkues ditubuhkan pula suruhanjaya diraja siasatan,” kata Azmin (gambar) kepada The Malaysian Insider.

Beliau yang juga Ahli Parlimen Gombak berkata langkah mengadakan inkues adalah satu perkara yang sia-sia, malah tidak boleh membawa individu yang terlibat dalam kematian Sarbaini ke muka pengadilan.

“Suruhanjaya diraja lebih terikat dengan undang-undang, mereka yang terlibat boleh didakwa… mereka yang bertanggungjawab akan ditangkap.

“Tidak perlu adakan inkues, terus tubuhkan suruhanjaya diraja dengan segera, inkues tidak efektif… tidak dapat cari punca kematian… kita mahukan suruhanjaya diraja,” katanya.

Inkues bagi menyiasat punca kematian Ahmad Sarbaini yang akan bermula pada 4 Julai depan diketuai koroner Aizatul Akmal Maharani.

Bulan lalu, Ketua Jabatan Siasatan Polis Kuala Lumpur Asisten Komisioner Datuk Ku Chin Wah berkata Peguam Negara Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail telah bersetuju dengan cadangan agar diadakan inkues berkenaan kematian Ahmad Sarbaini.

Pengumuman itu muncul beberapa hari selepas keluarga Allahyarham Ahmad Sarbaini mahu polis mendedahkan perkembangan terbaru hasil siasatan kematiannya dua bulan lalu di pejabat SPRM Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur pada 6 April lalu.

Ini kerana, menurut sumber yang rapat dengan keluarga Ahmad Sarbaini, sehingga kini masih tiada perkembangan, menyebabkan keluarga itu tertanya-tanya status sebenar hasil siasatan tersebut.