Source: The Malaysian Insider
Selangor Menteri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali today brushed aside complaints by Selangor PAS over the reduced number of PAS executive councillors, insisting that he had received the consensus of top Pakatan Rakyat leaders on the matter.
He said although he respected the views of the Islamist party’s leadership in Selangor, the decision on the choice of exco members had already been made.
“I consulted with the top leadership of Pakatan and followed the consensus reached,” he said.
“I understand how some people feel, but the decision has been made and the Sultan of Selangor has given his consent to their appointments.”
Yesterday, secretary of the Islamist party’s Selangor liaison committee Mohd Khairuddin Othman said the party’s central leadership had not agreed to the revised number of three excos instead of four, as was the case under former menteri besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim.
Khairuddin said Selangor PAS also felt that Azmin had no basis for the removal of Dr Halimah Ali and Sallehen Mukhyi from the line-up. Both had served under Khalid.
“We have been informed by the PAS headquarters that they had never agreed to a reduced quota (for PAS exco members).”
His statement contradicted PAS secretary-general Datuk Mustafa Ali, who was quoted as saying by Harakahdaily that PAS had “sacrificed” an exco post for the sake of Pakatan Rakyat.
“Azmin had a difficult choice to make, and all quarters should accept the sacrifice made by PAS,” he said yesterday.
Mustafa said that while reduced representation for PAS was unexpected, he had accepted it.
Under former menteri besar Khalid, the state exco line-up comprised four seats for PAS, and three each for DAP and PKR.
The three PAS executive councillors named by Azmin were Iskandar Abdul Samad, Ahmad Yunus Hairi and Zaidy Abdul Talib. Newcomer Zaidy replaces Halimah and Sallehen.
Azmin also said that the portfolios of all excos who had been appointed would be decided in the next few days following discussions with the three parties in PR – PKR, DAP and PAS.
“We want to ensure that all the excos will be given special tasking and responsibilities to make sure that they give their best,” he said.
The newly-minted MB also commented on the Sultan’s speech yesterday in which the latter had censured Pakatan for the MB impasse, saying that the party had accepted the reprimand well.
“We accept the Sultan’s admonishment and his advice.
“We will follow what he has asked us to do, which is to now focus on working hard for the people of Selangor,” he said.
At the swearing-in ceremony of the new exco members yesterday, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah had said the turmoil within the coalition started with the “Kajang Move”, which was designed to remove Khalid from office.
He said he was unhappy with the way attempts to oust Khalid had been carried out, adding that various efforts were made to discredit the former Selangor MB.
“These accusations (against Khalid) continued even during the holy month of Ramadan when Muslims should be focusing on their worship and doing charitable deeds to cleanse their sins.
“I have reminded, on several occasions, against this. But, PKR continued with its agenda during the fasting month until they succeeded in doing so.”
Azmin said there were a few issues that the state administration would have to immediately see to, adding that focus would also be given to the budget which is due soon.
“We will look at several areas, including education, which are important to the people of Selangor. With that, the role of Universiti Selangor (UniSel) is important,” he said.
However, he added that the state would have to look at the budget again to ascertain if it could provide free education in state-owned UniSel.
“We will see what the state government can do to give free education in UniSel. It will have to be based on the capacity of our budget,” he said when asked if Pakatan planned on providing free education based on its manifesto. – September 27, 2014