BATU ARANG, Jan 22 ― The Selangor government will not amend its 2015 state budget despite Putrajaya’s revision of the federal spending, Azmin Ali said today.
This was because the state government had made the necessary adjustments to its budget before tabling it last December and took into consideration a possible economic slowdown, the Selangor mentri besar explained.
“There is not need to review the state budget as we knew the possibility of an economic slump in 2015.
“That is why we presented an honest deficit budget, which focused on development and less on expenditure,” he told reporters after officiating an event here.
When asked on comment on Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s revisions of the federal Budget, Azmin accused Putrajaya of failing to address areas in which it could have made more effective cuts.
He pointed out that the federal government chose not to trim the sizeable Prime Minister’s Department or take measures to ensure a more transparent and competitive current tender process to cut wastage.
“The government has to prioritise. The Auditor-General’s report has shown abuse of billions of ringgit.
“He (Najib) has to show leadership. Cut down the bloated PM’s Department, stop travelling overseas,” Azmin added.
Despite announcing cuts to operating expenditure that could trim RM5.5 billion from government spending, Najib maintained that allocations for development totalling RM48.5 billion will be maintained.
He also revised the government’s target for its deficit reduction to 3.2 per cent of the economy versus the original 3 per cent, but pointed out that this was still lower than the 3.5 per cent registered last year.
– See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/selangor-mb-says-no-need-to-revise-state-budget-anticipated-economic-slump#sthash.IgtYvAi6.dpuf